Home     Transportation    My Account     Benefits Card     Forms    Eligible Expenses     Contact Us
A Qualified Transportation Benefits Plan offers a convenient way for employees to lower commuting costs by utilizing pre-tax dollars to pay for commuting costs. Employees who elect this benefit have the option of either using a debit card to pay for eligible expenses, or you can pay out-of-pocket for these expenses and submit a claim for reimbursement. Eligible expenses for transit include expenses associated with using any public or privately operated transit service.
Eligible Qualified Transportation expenses include:
  • Commuter highway vehicle:  A commuter highway vehicle is any highway vehicle that seats at least 6 adults (not including the driver). In addition, you must reasonably expect that at least 80% of the vehicle's mileage will be for transporting employees between their homes and work place with employees occupying at least one-half the vehicle's seats (not including the driver's).
  • Transit pass.  A transit pass is any pass, token, fare card, voucher, or similar item entitling a person to ride on one of the following:
    • Mass transit:  Mass transit may be publicly or privately operated and includes bus, rail, vanpool, ferry, monorail, street cars or tramcars.
    • A vehicle that seats at least 6 adults (not including the driver), if a person in the business of transporting persons for pay or hire operates it.
  • Qualified parking.  Qualified parking is parking at or near your place of employment. It includes parking at or near the location from which you commute to work using mass transit, commuter highway vehicles, or carpools. It does not include parking at or near your home.
For the 2016 plan year you may elect a pre-tax deduction of up to $125.00 a month for commuter transportation/transit passes and up to $240.00 for qualified parking. The combined benefit maximum is $365 per month. If you choose to participate in the plan you can only use the money on the specific benefit that you elect. This means that if you elect the commuter/transit benefit you can't use that money to pay for a parking expense. In addition, if you elect both the commuter/transit benefit and the parking benefit, the money can't be used interchangeably between the two accounts.
Any unused money from your contributions may be carried over to subsequent periods as long as the amount expended doesn't exceed annual limits. While you can carry over contributions you can't carry over expenses. In other words if you incur an expense in January that is greater than your monthly target, you can't be reimbursed from future contributions to cover January's overage. However, if you incur an expense in January, that is less than your monthly target, you can carry the money forward to cover future expenses.
If you wish to sign up for this benefit please complete an Enrollment Form and return it to the Benefits Department at Arlington County Public Schools.
If you are not a participant in the Flexible Benefits program, you will receive a debit card that you can use to pay for eligible transportation expenses. If you already have an active flexible benefits debit card, you will be able to use the same card to pay for eligible transportation expenses. Only the amount deducted from your payroll will be available for you to use on your card. Any charge, that is over what has been received in payroll deductions less previous payments, will be rejected for exceeding your account balance. After the initial purchase of a transportation expense, you will receive a letter asking for documentation to confirm the eligibility of the item purchased. Please return the letter along with the requested documentation within the allotted time frame to ensure that your card remains active. As long as the amount you put on the card remains the same, you will not be required to provide documentation for subsequent purchases. If the amount you put on the card varies, you will receive a letter asking you to provide documentation to substantiate the new charge. Please be sure to return all documentation to CompuSys/Erisa in a timely manner, otherwise your card may be temporarily suspended.
If you pay out-of-pocket for an eligible transportation benefit expense, meaning that you did not use the debit card and you wish to be reimbursed, you may file a claim. Please note that reimbursements cannot exceed what has been received in payroll deductions. You can only file a claim for a service that has already been incurred. However, once incurred, you must claim the expense within 180 days. Once completed, claim forms may be emailed, faxed, or mailed to CompuSys/Erisa along with supporting documentation that substantiates your reimbursement request. Once the claim has been processed you will receive reimbursement in the form of either a check or *direct deposit. If the charge is ineligible or if we require additional documentation, you will receive a letter or email notifying you of the claim's status. Please click here to download or print a Qualified Transportation Benefit Claim Form. Directions on how to file a claim are available on the back page of the claim form. However, any additional questions on how to file a claim can be directed to CompuSys/Erisa.
If you wish to change or revoke your participation in the plan, please contact the Benefits Department at Arlington County Public Schools. However, the change/revocation cannot be effective during the current pay period. The change/revocation must be for a subsequent pay period. If you choose to revoke your election in the plan, or if you terminate your employment with Arlington County Public Schools, the money remaining in your account may be subject to forfeiture.
*If you wish to be reimbursed via direct deposit for any claim that you've submitted please complete a Direct Deposit Authorization Form and return it to CompuSys/Erisa.
 By CompuSys/Erisa Group of Companies (Copyright 2008/10)